In my 25 years at Alex’s Catering, I must have made TONS of this sauce, literally! It is a quick and easy sauce which is perfect with vanilla ice-cream but it’s also great for a fondue, where you can dip strawberries, marshmallows, or whatever you want, into this delicious, thick fudgy sauce. No double boilers or fancy equipment needed here…
- 1 tin Carnation Caramel Treat. (If you can’t buy ready-made caramel, then boil a tin of condensed milk in a pot of water but remember to make a tiny hole in the top of the tin, else it will explode at some stage in the boiling process !)
- 4 large Bar Ones (or Mars Bars)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- A little milk, for consistency.
- Put butter into a small pot over a low heat, break up Bar Ones (trying not to eat them whilst doing this) and add them to the butter.
- Add the tin of caramel
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, or I like to use a hand whisk (non-electric), until the sauce is of a smooth consistency. Add milk if the sauce is too thick – it’s up to you how thin or thick you want the sauce to be.
- Serve warm over ice-cream.
Note: You can keep this sauce in the fridge for up to 2 weeks at least. It’s great to eat cold with a teaspoon too !