CORGUETTE & MUSHROOM PASTA
The vegetables on the island are so tasty, particularly the corguettes (baby marrows) and they are massive too. I buy my veggies from the local farmers, who have stalls in the village..
- 1 packet pasta – I use spaghetti in this recipe and I like using Gluten Free pasta
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 very large corguette – washed, cut in half and roughly sliced on the bias
- 100-150 grms sliced mushrooms (not chopped)
- Salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste
- Olive oil, chicken stock powder
- Hard cheese, eg: Parmezan, Pecorino – grated – for serving
- 150 mls cream (or more if you like)
- A couple of sprigs of your favourite herb – I used fresh thyme
- 1tspn Cornflour (Maizina) to thicken sauce if required
- In a large frying pan, add a splash of olive oil, wait for about a minute and then add your sliced corguettes, stirring constantly.
- After about a minute, add your mushrooms, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, crushed garlic and chicken stock powder, gently stirring. Leave on the heat for about another 2 minutes, add a sprig or 2 of your herb, stir that in.
- Add the cream and as the cream just starts to boil, add your cornflour, stirring the sauce gently, constantly, until a creamy texture is reached.
Your sauce is now ready!
- Boil water for pasta in a large pot. Once the water has boiled, add salt and a splash of olive oil, then add your pasta, stirring to separate. When Al-dente, strain and gently wash with a little cold water. Put the empty pot back onto the heat, add a splash of olive oil and empty pasta into the pot, stirring until olive oil is mixed in, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Tip the hot sauce onto the pasta, stirring gently (the pot is not on the heat)… and voila, your meal is ready!
- Serve into pasta bowls, add freshly grated cheese and enjoy !